Pages

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Emotional Beings...

I am a relatively reserved woman. I don't walk around waving my emotions at every passer-by.
I have taken 9 years of Psychology, holding both a Bachelor's and Master's degree, yet I will always wonder how that is.

How much of my demenor is nature or nurture?

And furthermore, how often should I try to surpress the emotions of my own children?

I look at my babies and often wonder why I am unable to express such extreme emotions. Their happiness is the most elevated joy I have ever witnessed. The joy radiates their entire being. And the triggers are truly the simple things.

"Yay! We are eating pizza for dinner!"
"Yay! Daddy is home!"

Similar things happen with anger or sadness. We have all been a witness of a child's temper tantrum - regardless of if it was your own child.

I am fully capable of talking my child through a tantrum. Long ago, Lucas reached the point where his cries are minimal and he will tell me "I'm mad!" or "You hurt my feelings!"

Although he is able to suppress the extreme anger or sadness and use his words - I am still unsure what to do in situations of extreme happiness. Of course, I try to quiet him down and encourage an "inside voice," but why is this necessary?

Social norms have pushed society to a point where the extreme feeling of ANY emotion is culturally "wrong." We never want to draw attention to ourselves. Although I was subconsiously aware of this, I never realized it until I had children and my child yelled out in the middle of a store, "We are going to buy blueberries?!?!" causing multiple people to stare.

I am half-way convienced that elated emotions bother others just as much as that of anger or sadness....or any emotion you can feel. I could be wrong, but for now I will stand by my statement.

I struggle with this....but I am left wondering if by encouraging them to QUIETLY express their excitement, am I teaching them to keep their emotions inside?

I suppose only time will tell...

2 comments:

Sarah-Anne said...

Hmmmm.... very interesting. Thanks for your thought-provoking post. Not sure how to respond to it, but simply wanted to say thank you for sharing, as I'm pondering this now.

Anonymous said...

This is very true. We've had the same things occur while grocery shopping and the Wee One has gotten excited about helping me put something as simple as an apple in the plastic bag. Sometimes we get people who come over and chuckle with us, but usually we just get glares.

I truly understand glares when he is pitching a giant fit, but I have always thought that happiness should be infectious! I would say encourage the happiness, but that is my personality type and may not be best for you guys. Good luck deciding what is best for you and your family to do.

Related Posts with Thumbnails