Pages

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Black Bean and Sweet Potato Enchiladas

In casual conversation, my friend SA told me about a recipe that she had made for her family.  I had come across a similar sounding recipe in Sandra Lee's Semi-Homemade cookbook I had filed to try, and was excited to try a HOMEMADE version. 

After months of putting it off, I finally worked Black Bean and Sweet Potato Enchiladas (click recipe name for link to the recipe!) into our meal plan for the week.  I was quite apprehensive because I didn't know how the kiddos would handle it.....little did I know Richard would be the hardest to win over. 

I sauted onion in a bit of oil until soft, and then added cubes of sweet potatoes. 

As per instructions, I cooked the sweet potatoes for TEN MINUTES (forgetting that it said OR UNTIL TENDER) and then added in
canned black beans, drained, and
chopped spinach, with a little bit of water. 

For good measure, I also added in a can of diced chilies and sprinkled salt, black pepper and CUMIN.
I thought it looked amazingly wonderful...


Along side it, I made Emeril's Easy Enchilada Sauce (halfed the recipe), since I was familiar with the flavor and I HATE canned enchilada sauce.  
Then, I spooned a bit of enchilada sauce on the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish and began to fill 
WHEAT TORTILLAS 
with the black bean and sweet potato mixture.
After adding a dollop of sour creme, I rolled it up and placed it on the sauce.

Once all tortillas were filled, I topped with the remaining enchilada sauce.

I also modified, by adding shredded cheddar!  Cheese makes everything better!
Bake for 20 minutes and enjoy!



The kiddos ate everything on their plate without a single word of encouragement
(which usually is necessary to get them to eat their dinner!)

But it was Richard who could not get past the lack of meat,
the sweet potatoes that were not of mushy consistency (which is how sweet potatoes are usually eaten)
and who knows whatelse.....

He was not a fan.
I shared leftovers with the neighbors and the kids in that household though I was nuts for offereing it to them.

Infact, their youngest daughter thought that I was "getting them back" for this awful soup they shared with me a while back! 

I still encourage you to try it. 
Perhaps, you can invite me over when you do? 
There is no way I can try to play with this recipe and have my husband eat it again.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yet another recipe I am going to have to make! I think it looks delicious. Maybe if you make a few more dishes without meat in them Richard will get used to the idea of a meatless dinner. At least the kiddos loved it.

Unknown said...

LOL - it wasn't really that bad. I think it was just surprising that is all. Signed, the neighbor with the child that just seems to say what is on her mind.

Anonymous said...

I know I'm coming late to this post, but my husband does the same thing when I cook anything without me. He doesn't think its a real meal if meat is not included. Good thing my vegetarian days are long behind me. So, we've since decided that now he does all the cooking :) Works for me- for the most part. -Molly BW

Related Posts with Thumbnails