We all know that I need that after a day with my spirited lovebugs....
I gathered all the ingredients, straight down to the cabbage, despite my apprehension and wonder to why it wasn't spinach. What is Italian about cabbage after all?
The soup was thrown together, as per directions. The ONLY change I made was omitting the freshly grated parmesan cheese. I totally used prepackaged parm.
First, I made the meatballs.
The recipe for the meatballs was amazingly wonderful. I don't believe that I will be going back after this.
But after adding the remaining ingredients.... let's just say that the soup wasn't as heavenly as I expected it to be.
I was disappointed in the flavor content.I know it tasted just like the recipe called for, but we expected something robust. There was nothing Italian about the flavor at all....at least it had meatballs.
I was disappointed with how crunchy the vegetables were. At first, I thought this made it taste fresh and healthy. Until I realized that crunchy veggies do not appeal to the masses (my family). So we yelled "Soup's On!" and cooked it a bit more. Let's be realistic - I cooked it considerably longer than the recipe called for in order to soften the vegetables.
I know that I have never published a cookbook and I will never guest star on the Food Network.
I am entitled to my opinion though. And if it makes you feel better, I still took some to Melanie EVEN THOUGH I didn't like it to see if it was universally disliked (not that adding an outsider to the mix would ultimately determine that - but she didn't care for it either).
And I am in no way discouraging you from trying the recipe.
Just don't blame me if you don't like it.
I will stick to the traditional thick and hearty soups though...like the brunswick stew on the stove right now!
3 comments:
I got the PW cookbook for Christmas and so far the two or three recipes I have tried were just total flops. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one. At least the meatballs were terrific!
I have a completely different recipe for an 'Italian meatball soup' (that's not quite so homemade....i.e. you use frozen vegetables/already made meatballs)...it is delicious! I'll share it with you if you'd like :o)
So I'm going to bring you some soup that I just tried to make and it will make you LOVE your Itlaian Meatball soup. I've had a sweet potato and apple bisque that I loved - so I tried a recipe that I found. Wow - I'll leave it at that.
Post a Comment