Pages

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Car Trouble

I have always believed that women are treated differently when dealing with auto mechanics.  I have absolutely no proof, via my own life or statistics.  Yet, I still believe this to be true. 

Apparently, women are not in a category by themselves any longer. 

Apparently, individuals with Oklahoma license plates are also treated differently.

Apparently, if you are in Virginia, and you have Oklahoma license plates - you are treated like you are a complete idiot.

"You see, I think I know your problem.  You are used to driving on those flat Oklahoma roads, but here in Virginia, we have hills.  It is not that your car has a miss, that is just what your car feels like when you go up a hill." 

Yes, I am serious.  This is what the mechanic told my husband on the SECOND trip to the shop because they were unable to find and repair the problem the first time around. 

I was the first to recognize the erratic movements of our Jeep.  I have been the primary driver since we purchased the car three years ago.  When accelerating between 25 to 45 mph, the car would not "go."  I was aware that there was a miss fire.  The engine light never came on.

So what do we do?  Take it to the Jeep dealership.

Since mechanics don't really fix cars anymore, they were unable to diagnose the problem without the engine light notifying the specific problem.  Instead, the mechanic did not notice the miss and guessed....maybe the transmission was going bad, maybe it was leaking and maybe a plug needed to be changed. 

$250 dollars later, we had a brand new $10 plug in our transmission. 

The Jeep was still not working like it should. 

Richard returned the next day, to hear the mechanic diagnose our problem as being an idiot driver from Oklahoma.  My husband did not bother telling the mechanic what an idiot he was. 

Fortunately, the engine light had come on, and the mechanic was able to diagnose a miss fire on one of the spark plugs. 

After being quite disgruntled with the situation, my husband made a case for why we were not paying for the work today, and why we were wanting our money back from yesterday. 

The argument won us our money back and our Jeep is now back in perfect condition.

3 comments:

Rebekah said...

Gotta love someone with persistence and gift for clear communication! I've had to handle a few car things myself out here, goes with the staying at home, don't have an office job territory. One of my least favorite things to do because I feel so incompetent. However, the most recent issue was fixed for free by very nice people. So grateful!

Sarah-Anne said...

YAY Rich! That is GREAT that he was able to get your money back. And, so glad to hear your Jeep is fixed :) Unbelievable comment by the mechanic, btw.

Unknown said...

I am relieved to know that it wasn't a mechanic at Palmyra automotive. I was guessing a spark plug - I feel so smart now. I'm glad that Rick got his money back. That was a great story!

Related Posts with Thumbnails