Pages

Monday, May 4, 2009

The Ultimate Day....

Meredith discovered ketchup yesterday.

I gave Lucas his dinosaur plate with his favorite condiment. Meredith grunted and screetched because she was interested and finally took things into her own hands - literally.
She took a HUGE handful of ketchup off of Lucas' plate and licked it off her fingers. Lucas was laughing hysterically, saying "What did Mere do now, Mommy?!"



Last week, I was on the phone with Melanie while she was making dinner for her family....Manwich....(for those of you who are wondering what this is -- it is a canned tomato sauce used to make sloppy joes)....which sounded really yummy to me.
I have a stockpile of recipes I want to try, and as the days get longer, my life is getting shorter. I decided to stop using the excuse of waiting until Richard comes home....

I deserve to eat yummy food. Why should I wait until Richard comes home? So, as I fed the babies a wholesome meal of hotdogs, ketchup, blueberries, macaroni and cheese, and broccoli, I sauted ground turkey.

I opted to use fresh ingredients, instead of the canned Manwich concoction. I pulled out all the stops....ketchup, mustard, tomato paste, brown sugar, cayenne pepper. Unfortunately, my excitement for the The-Ultimate-Sloppy-Joes
forced me to be a little overzealous in my measurements. Soooo, too much mustard makes for a very, very mustardy sauce.
Sorry for the less than aesthetic photograph. I wasn't able to capture the full essence of the meal since only a portion of my vinyl Elmo placemat is shown. Oh, and I had already begun eating before I realized I needed to capture the moment on film. (Please note the bite taken out of the bun and the small divet in the ketchup.)

In other news, Meredith has been putting her climbing skills to the test. Today I saw her do this:


I captured it on film right before Lucas ran full force, screaming and slammed her into the bookcase.

And you thought your day was fun?

3 comments:

Robyn said...

I LOVE Manwich! But the real stuff ;) That is so cool that Lucas' vocabulary is getting so good! Porter is starting to put sentences together but isn't nearly as proficient as Lucas!

Lyndsey said...

Devon, this post is cracking me up. Especially the Elmo placemat and the quote "and you thought your day was fun?" I love this. I'm going to try to make Manwich from scratch. We usually do the canned version but you've inspired me!

Rich Connaroe said...

I have never had sloppy joes from scratch, but I can hardly wait.

Lucas can sound so sweet one minute, but so rough the next.

Related Posts with Thumbnails