I know what you are thinking...
Wow, Devon! You had a pretty exciting day today. Oh no! Most days are very busy like this, I just don't take the time to share this much with you. Not that I don't care about you...it's just that these things take time.
And I most definately leave out the fighting, pushing, hitting, and crying. Because no one wants to hear about that stuff when they ask how things are. People only want the happy stuff....
Besides the fun included in the following posts, there is more.
I'll leave out a few things that I only e-mailed to Richard...
Instead, you get "The visit to the grocery store...."
The grocery store is always an adventure. I prepare myself with a list of things that I HAVE to have. Typically, those modern staples that you need in the event of a blizzard: milk, eggs, bread. And today, according to Lucas, those necessities also included ice cream and cookies.
My goal is to not only obtain the things I HAVE to have....but also see how many other things we can get into the cart before we have a meltdown. And of course, meltdowns can come from either baby or both babies - and they are always without warning....
So, there I was....buckling my children into those freaking cars attached to the front of the grocery cart. I was moving slowly with grace, trying not to rush the babies into settling. In my head, I was mapping out the store to see what aisles I needed to zoom down....
If you remember the show Supermarket Sweep, that is me....
I had made it all the way from the fruits to the frozen foods and noticed Meredith was getting restless. I moved the fruits into the inside of the cart, to leave room for Meredith in the seat of the cart near me.
Lucas heard the rustling of the packages and smelled the deep red strawberries.
Lucas couldn't take it anymore! He wanted strawberries NOW!
He climbed out of the little car part of the cart and cried and screamed at me....
People were starring.....
I told him that we were not going to eat strawberries and to stop crying. I demanded that he get back into the car or he was going to have to sit beside Meredith.
I waited.
He continued his tantrum.
I picked him up, arms and legs swinging in every direction...and in the cart we go.
He kept screaming at me to let him out and how he wanted strawberries. I am sure you know how tantrums can see to last an eternity. And although it seemed like one, it resolved itself between the milk and cheese.
I swear, I think it was the first time he threw a tantrum and I wasn't embarrassed. Why was I not embarrassed? Why did I not turn beat red as I felt the eyes boring holes in my head because my child was being louder than drunken fans at a Virginia Tech football game?
I really can't answer that question....
I do know that Lucas realized he wasn't getting his way. He looked at me and said "I all done crying Mommy" and asked for a hug.
So a hug is exactly what he got.
When we arrived home, I let him have strawberries. I think he was getting me back for not letting him have any in the store....
He took a single bite out of every single one.
Wood Mantle with Hidden Storage
3 years ago
3 comments:
I love it! I used to kind of look at people in the store with children having tantrums. Then I experienced one with a child from preschool in the lobby of work and realized there was ABSOLUTELY NOTHING I could do to stop it. I learned a very valuable lesson. There's no judging here :)
You handled this so fabulously, Hon. You are a mommy pro.
I hope that you are able to block out gawkers from here on out. Do not think for a second that they could do better than you are.
Wow, you were great! Thanks so much for sharing how you handled Lucas, how he responded, and what happened! What did Meredith do or say while Lucas was carrying on?
I wonder when the tantrum days will begin with Sebastien.... perhaps soon.... we'll see...
Post a Comment