Pages

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Worship Wednesday: Majesty

Originally, I began this post as a Wordless Wednesday, but decided I had too much to say...
***************************************************************************************
Constantly, I want to come home and share what my Sunday was like in church....
What my take away was, and how my thought process was changed from interaction with the fellowship, the music, the sermon and the worship.
But because I have never really discussed that with you, I never make time to do so. But I realize I am missing out an important forum to share God's word with you.
I will commit to trying harder.
This week alone, I made recommendations to FOUR different people on something I learned in church/Sunday school.
How many more people could I touch if I let my thoughts flow here??
Our worship music is very contemporary....like rock concert contemporary.
The musicians are amazing at remixing music, and they like to play it hard.
Initially, this was hard to accept.
Are you allowed to "rock out" in church?
I was raised with very slow, traditional hymns, which were quite sleepy.
Since that was what I was used to, I thought that was the only thing you could experience during a worship service.
Yet, in the car I like to listen to contemporary Christian -- so why can't we worship the same way in a place designated for worship!
The people who stand up on the stage in our church are amazingly talented people.
Their rendition of the following song was beyond beautiful, and when the entire congregation sang without music I was blown away.
So how does music play a role in your church? Is it traditional or more contemporary?
Do you walk away moved by the worship or does the music not play a huge role in your life?

3 comments:

Tom said...

As the worship team leader at our congregation, I'd say it plays a fairly big role in my life!

We sing a blend of old hymns and modern choruses. Reason being (from a leader's perspective), while the message of the Cross is timeless, the messenger must be timely and portray the Gospel in a way that is both culturally relevant and doctrinally sound. In short, since the age of our members ranges from 0-90, we play a variety of musical styles to appeal the most amount of people.

I love the deep theology found in many of the old hymns. And I love the contagious joy expressed in many of the modern choruses. It's all about the message. Whether you connect better to the lyrics when they are sung to a pipe organ or remember them better when sung as a rock ballad, I believe the Creator of all things values creative expression and accepts either style as appropriate worship.

Thanks for the post, Devon! I look forward to what you will share on future Worship Wednesdays. :-)

Anonymous said...

Since we are Catholic, song plays a large part in our worship. I personally love the traditional hymns because they are rooted in Jesus' teachings. However, I admit that I listen to KLOVE radio A LOT in the car and find the contemporary worship music incredibly moving too.

So glad you found a place that is perfect for you.

Paige said...

I know you have been going to church & church functions but really didn't know anything about what your church is like and was very curious. Love the song. I remember going away to Christian camps when I was younger & loving the worship so much & always wondered why can't worship at home be like this. My church isn't quite like what I experienced at church camp, but it is definitely a lot more like it than the church I attended growing up. I like the more contemporary music. It seems to be a bigger spark for me. I like to listen to it loud & sometimes even dance. I have to make myself be content with a simple sway sometimes during church.

Related Posts with Thumbnails