Pages

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Career Choices...

Growing up, I went through a few career choices of what I longed "to be" as an adult.
Farmer....My grandfather had a tobacco farm. I loved overalls, and watching things grow. Being a farmer seemed like the perfect life....at age 7, I realized it was HARD to do, to survive. (I have had backyard gardens, so perhaps that's as close as I'll come)...

Lawyer....This was where it was at, money, prestige. I could argue like the best of them. I am not sure why I left this dream laying on the wayside....but I did marry a lawyer (to be) instead. Too bad, the money and prestige don't come with...

Writer. I was first published by the local newspaper in fourth grade. I LOVED writing. Poems, short stories....I have a collection of things I wrote on my own...I still dream about writing. I know I am good at it, but I am not as creative as I used to be...

Doctor. Oprah helped open my eyes on this one with a show which followed interns - long before ER (the TV show) ever came out. Do I really want to not have a lot of sleep and spend so many hours away from home? It was not worth it to me.

Nurse. The next best thing to a doctor. More one on one patient care, less hours, more sleep. I considered dropping out of my 4-year liberal arts school to go to nursing school directly. The Dean wouldn't let me. Instead, I was told about an accelerated program to get my BS in Nursing after my undergraduate degree.

I applied to several places. Some said no, but some said yes. I walked away from my acceptances, blinded by love, and walked straight into the life I have now.

A wife. The Army. A mother. A home. A dog. More love than I could ever ask for.

I care for my children in every way possible. I have literally nursed them through sickness....literally nursed them for nourishment.....

I realized that I am the nurse I once longed to be.
Now, if only to fulfill the dream of being a writer....

5 comments:

Rich Connaroe said...

Wow. How eliquently written. You already are a writer.

I bet that you would be the best kind of columnist. Alls you need is a gig.

Shoot. I have always wanted to write a book myself. Alls you need is time. And an idea.

Anonymous said...

This made me tear up! You have the best career in the whole wide world. If you were actually paid for all the nursing you do now you'd be making bank! Keep that dream alive...I know lots of women who have been Moms and pursued other career interests once their children were older.

Noel's Mama said...

I, too, feel like I should have pursued nursing as a profession. I still dream about it!

I LOVE being able to stay home with Noel, but unfortunately for the time being it can't be on a permanent basis. You are extremely lucky to be able to spend so much time with them! You're doing a great job!

Robyn said...

You are already all of the above and more,

Morgan said...

Everyone else said it before me. I completely agree.

Related Posts with Thumbnails