(Please know that everything said below about my husband is my opinion, and this may not be a true fact, but I know that is the impression I received.)
After being in Oklahoma for a few months, I was driving my husband completely crazy. I had obtained a job to try to keep myself occupied during the lonely hours of the day, but straightening panties and selling bras wasn't fulfilling me intellectually. Not only was I bored, but I think Richard was growing tired of hearing stories about women and their boobs (which are quite entertaining).
So, in addition to working, I enrolled in a class at the local University. I was overjoyed at the prospect of learning anything again - at being stimulated - at forcing myself to re-examine how I see the world. However, I was afraid I was still driving my husband crazy -- I would come home and want to share everything that I had learned that day.
He encouraged me to enroll in more classes.
I think his logic was as follows : keeping me busy would shut me up...
So I found another course, and after that semester I enrolled in more. Everything seemed so....easy...Why not take more? I continuously took courses, every available semester, in attempt to complete my coursework, while we were still in Oklahoma.
I became increasingly exhausted, so I was unable to share as often.
I walked away with a Master's in Behavioral Sciences -- essentially this is Psychology, with a focus on counseling. I enjoyed my time in school, but it often bothers me that I did it so aimlessly. Everyone is so focused on going to school to make more money - to move up the corporate ladder -to BE someone.
You may think that I have no aspirations, no dreams, no goals. But truly, I am living them all as each day passes.
I AM someone. And I am very important in that sense. My family is my everything - and I will remain successful for as long as I live, because really, loving is what I do best.
2 comments:
Honey,
True, you did drive me crazy before you worked at Victria Secret. You needed something to do. I did not get tired of your VS stories or hearing about school. I was always encouraging you.
I tell you, I am glad that you see how important you are. You provide love to our family and you have a master's degree. Who knows how it might come in handy later on, but I should think that it will.
Rich
You ARE the love my life, Hon.
Post a Comment