Pages

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Second Trip to the Dentist

July 2008. The last time we saw Lucas' right, front baby tooth was a Wednesday morning.

We were visiting a historic tavern in the area. While waiting for the tour to begin, Lucas wanders around to check out everything. The next thing I know, I hear him crying. He had fallen while crawling up these huge brick steps. We had no idea what damage existed. There was blood, but he wouldn't let us look in his mouth. A huge white mark, similar to one made by chalk, was across the step.

Our baby boy had broken off half of his front tooth. So grateful, as it was a baby tooth....but so sad, as we had no insurance for him.

We worked out the insurance issue and had the tooth repaired today. I think I was more scared than he was at first...mainly because he hadn't eaten anything! I got really tired of watching the same Diego over and over while we were waiting for the Dentist (who I really think was younger than I am!)

Then the same Diego again while we waited for the medicine to kick in. He made a terrible fuss when they took his trucks away from him to take him to do the procedure. He was awake for the whole thing, with only medication to make him woozy.

He was a trooper. No stranger would ever suspect that it is a replacement. He was rewarded with a frog and alligator (or "AL" as he calls it!) He was so freaking cute as he was a chatter box but was completely out of it, like he was on drugs -- well because he was. It reminded me of my college days...okay, not really because I have never done drugs. Okay, back on track.

So I was instructed to not give him anything hard or crunchy, EVER. for as long as he has the tooth! Re-frickin-diculous! He is going to miss out on so many fun kid things. Rich informs me that it is a liability issue and Lucas is still going to eat hard and crunchy things. Being the person that I am, I listen when someone says "Don't do this"

And seriously, I don't want to pitch out the 200+ dollars to have it repaired again.

Good thing for insurance, right?


2 comments:

Rich Connaroe said...

Devon,

You downplayed how serious you took the dentist's advice. Not only that, but when I laughed on hearing the doctor's orders, you didn't mention that you were less than amused with me. But seriously, there's no way for the next five years that we'll be able to avoid hard foods.

He is so cute. I see you in him. I am glad to finally see pictures of him with the trucks. I am also glad that it went so well. I love you and miss you guys terribly.

Rich

Shelly said...

You are one strong Mommy to deal with all that!

Related Posts with Thumbnails