There was a bouncy house, a "petting" zoo with farm animals, and a pumpkin patch.
Each child was able to choose their own pumpkin to bring home.
I was super excited for Lucas to see how much fun his day had been.....
Until I saw his pumpkin....
His pumpkin was sitting under his backpack lined up with all of the other children's pumpkins.
My heart sank.
The pumpkin was a tiny, pale orange, bumpy mess.
I picked it up and examined it. Sure enough, his name had been carefully written on the bottom with a black permanent marker.
I immediately wondered why he would choose such a pumpkin. All the other children had chosen large pumpkins. Smooth pumpkins. Blemish-free pumpkins.
If I had chosen a pumpkin, I would have found the smoothest and most perfect pumpkin.
But not my Lucas.
He loved his little pumpkin.
And if asked why, his answer was very simple.
Lucas loved his pumpkin BECAUSE it had bumps.
He loved how the bumps made his pumpkin different from all the others.
He is able to find the beauty in the imperfection (as I see it).
Although I initially felt disappointed in his choice, I realized how wise my baby is.
I had a three-year-old remind me that something doesn't have to be perfect to be beautiful.
He is able to love things regardless of their blemishes.
He is going through life just as I would want him to.
And he is loving things just as God does.
I couldn't be happier.
1 comment:
What a sweet story, thanks for sharing! You just warmed my heart.
Post a Comment