On Monday, Lucas and Meredith had a dental appointment.
What we thought was a normal cleaning at the dentist turned into a very emotional day for me.
We arrived and Lucas had his teeth cleaned first - with lots of silly songs from the hygentist to entertain him.
Meredith went next, and they figured out quickly that she loved the color purple.
Everything checked out alright until the dentist did her exam.
Lucas' front tooth had absessed and needed to be removed.
He broke off his front tooth in July 2008 - which can be read about HERE.
His tooth was capped at the time.
Several months later, he fell and broke off the cap.
To repair, they did a root canal and added a crown.
Unfortunately, all the pain (and money) poured into this did not deem effective, because his tooth had absessed.
The infected tooth needed to be removed IMMEDIATELY.
She spoke to me about the options, of either numbing the gum area or giving him "woozy" medicine.
He had the woozy medicine for the other two procedures (at different dental office).
I much prefer our new office and went with the option that the doctor said she would choose for her own children. Lucas was going to be wrapped in a papoose and numbed locally. I never felt comfortable with the woozy medicine (forgive me, but I can't remember what it is called - but it just makes the kid feel like they are drunk, and they still have a memory of the event).
We told Lucas that he was going to stay a bit longer and watch a movie, so the dentist could take pictures of his teeth and look at a booboo in his mouth. They told him to pretend he was going camping and to wrap up in a sleeping bag (the papoose).
Lucas did wonderfully. He cried when they pulled his tooth, but that is to be expected.
The office was very kind to all of us, straight down to handing me tissues when I was tearing up.
I obviously wasn't doing a great job of holding it together.
The office had showered him with additional treats, including a glow necklace and zebra stuffed animal. We were given his tooth in a little tooth box so the Tooth Fairy would visit.
I felt so bad for my baby.
I did my best at playing it up and letting him see how special it was that he lost a tooth early.
He asked questions like "How am I going to eat if I am missing a tooth?"
He was super cute and super sensitive so I knew we had to let him have something special.
We took him to his store of choice and let him choose anything he wanted.
After debating between Legos and a few games, he chose Yahtzee Jr - Toy Story Edition.
My toothless child will remain so for the next few years until his permanent tooth breaks through.
Thankfully, it looks good on him!
1 comment:
Wow, you are a very brave Mom and Lucas is an amazingly brave little boy. Isn't it amazing how things like this always hurt us Mom's worse than it does our kiddos?!
Glad all is well now and I hope everyone is enjoying the new game.
Post a Comment