Pages

Sunday, February 8, 2009

#2 of 25 Things

I was proposed to at the Boston Marathon. My husband never verbally asked me to marry him, and passed out after I never said yes.

In April of 2004, I accompanied Richard and members of the Marathon Club at VMI to Boston. All members of the military, they were going to march in the Boston Marathon's 26.2 miles in BDU's with a 40 pound ruck sack (an army backpack).

The race is so massive that you wake up super early for a noon race. I spent hours alone waiting for the race to simply begin. Many of those hours were spent being lost in Boston and trying to find a place to park. I really hate cities and was proud of myself for figuring out what to do.

I obviously couldn't do sightseeing. The whole place was run over with people and I wore my favorite summer heels. (This is an important part of the story). I spent most of the day trying to get into a store where I could buy a new pair of shoes. You weren't allowed to cross the strip unless you walked all the way up around the finish line's massive medical and food tents. I already had blisters. I eventually scored some ugly lime green flip flops at the CVS.

If you have never gone to a marathon, I recommend you do it at least once. I am amazed at the different types of people who come through the finish line. I love to see their emotion, the determination, the accomplishment, the pain. It is very overwhelming and heartwarming. You see people walk across like it was a piece of cake and then pass out or puke. Seriously, it will make you want to be a runner (well, not the puking part).

So six hours and then some, after the race began, the guys crossed the finish line hand in hand.


I was so concerned with how terrible Richard looked....pale, lifeless. He came up to me, and dropped to one knee. Time was in slow motion. He never said anything, he just stared up to me with this giant ring in hand....gripping on for dear life.
I begged him to get up....to keep walking. I knew he was dehydrated for sure. He just kept staring at me with pleading eyes. He eventually did get up. And the ring was put on my finger. He was very concerned with whether or not the ring fit....it wasn't even close.

Once we started walking to the medical tent, he passed out. He was administered four IV's before we could leave.


The rest of the night was interesting! But that isn't included in the 25 things! I guess you will miss out!

2 comments:

Robyn said...

Oh my gosh!!! I love the look on your face like "uh...you alright there?: What a memorable proposal!!

Rich Connaroe said...

Bee, you forgot to mention the drive up to Boston. Somewhere in New Jersey, I pointed at a billboard for a jewler that was advertising for an engagement ring. I pointed at it and commented that I had not even thought of what kind of ring that I would get to give my fiance. Your look of disgruntlement did not wear off until we were passed NYC.

Related Posts with Thumbnails