Pages

Friday, January 9, 2009

Civilians

This week has been full of adventure....

Between Lucas getting over germies, and Mere being attacked by germies - we are fighting a never ending battle of viruses. What I wouldn't give for some bacteria to jump on board. At least then, we can attack with antibiotics! I am so sick of the doctor looking at me all pathetic and sad because there is nothing they can do for me since the ears are fluid-free, and the lungs sound clear, and the throat isn't red.

Keep doing what you are doing, they say. (Yes, it is they because we see several doctors - Today, Meredith saw the attending, the resident, and 2 medical students - it was nuts - let's look at the baby who has a rash because her body is fighting off illness...)



Mere and I also spent some time getting our car repaired. Some time really translates into sitting for HOURS. In the waiting room, there was nothing to do but eavesdrop. This man with a weird buzzcut came in and started a conversation with an older woman with glasses. The were exchanging information about what they do for a living....It went something like this....

Woman: I do consulting. (Whatever that means...)

Man: I am a lawyer in the Army.

Woman: YOU are in the ARMY?

Man: Yes. I get to wear regular clothes, I am not stuck in a uniform.

Woman: But you have an IPOD!

Man: Yes, I can have cool gadgets like an IPOD!

Woman: THAT is so un-military!
(Okay, I am sorry, but really, why is an IPOD unmilitary?)

Man: Yeah I get to have all the cool gadgets.

Woman: So, at least as a lawyer you don't have to go to Iraq.

Man: Well, actually, I just got back from Iraq.

Woman: WHAT? They need lawyers in Iraq? You weren't fighting were you? What do lawyers do?

Man: Yes, they need lawyers. There are legal problems everywhere.


The woman was shocked.
I won't bore you with the rest of the conversation...but they talked for about an hour. It was pretty funny to listen to actually. I wish I had been sitting in the same room (they had partitions) that they were.....He was pretty lowkey in his answers to her - maybe to not make her feel stupid, maybe not to reveal too much information. I can just see her now, going home to her husband and telling him about the conversation.

And while we are on the topic of the military....this news lady on the radio was telling me about Joe the Plumber going to talk to the Irealies to get their perspective on things. Her comment was that Joe is stupid for putting himself in the line of fire for publicity. My thoughts are what about all the men and women that are putting themselves in the line of fire for your freedom.

And I thought I was naive.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails