Pages

Thursday, June 24, 2010

The Splash Park Incident

Oh my goodness...
I don't think you could believe how much stuff I experience in one entire day. 

So many things I could blog about, but either
A) Don't think you care
or
B) Don't take the time to write because I don't think you care. 

So let's discuss the main topic of today, because I have time while my husband ignores me watches a show I could care less about...

There I was - at the splash park. 
The time was approximately 10 am. 
The temperature was approximately 92 degrees.

My children had been dressed in their SPF 50 swim suits and covered in SPF 50 sun block. 
All was right in the world as they raced through the water, feeling complete joy. 

Meanwhile, I am sitting in the hot sun sweating in places I don't normally think about....

I wonder how appropriate it would be to wear my swim suit and run through the sprinklers with my kids.

I see a woman arrive in her swim suit and realize that she should not be coming out in public like that. 
I rethink my own wonderment to join the ranks of women like that...

Then, I notice a child - approximately 4 years old - come up behind another child, ball up his fist, pound him squarely in the center of his back. 

Seriously, pound him. 

I leave my hot spot on the bench to listen to their conversation. 

"Do not hit me!"
"I was here first!"
"No! You weren't!  You are hitting me!"

I walk past to tell my Mere not to drink the nasty recycled water. 

Then I notice the child pounding MY CHILD on the back. 

I walk to him quickly and crouch down.

"Excuse me!  DO NOT hit my son!" 

The child stares at me.

The second victim child looks at me "He hit me too!"

I continue on..."Is that how we treat people??  Do you just go around hitting people?  Would you like it if they hit you?" 

The child shakes his head and walks away. 

I take Lucas' hand and walk him to a different part of the splash park. 

I recount what just happened in my mind, scrolling the picnic tables to see if I could identify this child's mother.

I wonder if I should have asked him to take me to his mother. 

I think about how I don't want to be confrontational.

Instead of Lucas being taken to another part of the water park, he asks to come sit down with me. 

"The little boy hit me!  Why did he hit me mommy?  He hurt me!" 

****

To spare you the rest of the conversation - I will make it short. 

Lucas asked to leave. 

I was still very angry about the whole thing.

I recounted the story to my husband, and we discussed what would be said had I actually confronted the mother....then he shared our opposing sides with his co-workers. 

So I ask you, What would you do? 

And really think about it.... because one day (if you have children) this will happen to you.

I promise.

2 comments:

Rebekah said...

Be very angry and relocate, ditto, definitely!
Last month we were on a playground and an older apparently got sand in her brothers eyes on purpose. Her mother was furious and scolding her very loudly. I understand the anger but you don't yell at your kids (period is my goal) in public, it would be so humiliating. The mother washed her sons eye and then... She splashed the water on the girl asking how she liked it!! I had to move!

Anonymous said...

I would have done EXACTLY what you did. I don't know if it would have been a good idea for me to speak to the child's mother while I was that angry. Usually when I am in "Mama Bear" mode I get to hot headed and I would probably be very rude and judgmental towards the mother.

I am interested to hear what your opposing view points are though.

Related Posts with Thumbnails