Pages

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Sleepless Nights

Time has flown since my husband returned from his deployment. 

We haven't reached a year of his return just yet.  However, enough time has passed that you get used to having someone around. 

His presence has been sporatic these past few weeks. 
Law exams really get the best of your brain. 

Long hours of studying not only take him away physically, but mentally. 

I had no trouble going to bed without him, since he burned the midnight oil more often than not.

Yet, something drastic changes once he is not physically in our home. 

I am restless. 
I am paranoid. 

I am sleepless.
 
Last night, he wasn't in our home. 

He has traveled to a law office in the state to begin his "summer internship."  I use the term internship loosely, because I am sure that his summer will be very different from most law students....but none of this really matters to you. 

Regardless, I think I may have gotten two hours of sleep last night. 

I stayed up on the computer past midnight.

I climbed into bed and read my current deep and thought provoking novel.
I read for soooo long that my eyes were permanently frozen in the wide-eyed surprise! look in trying to keep my tired eyes focused on the page.

When I could finally bring myself to putting down my book, I couldn't bring myself to turn off the light. 

Half an hour later, I told myself that we had nightlights in every room and I would still be able to see if "something terrible" were to happen.

I am not sure how much time passed, but I eventually relaxed my body enough to forget why I was still awake in the first place. 

Two hours later, the sun rose in the east, waking my super-observant kiddos. 

I often wonder if this is normal, or if this is something I suffer from because I never lived alone before marrying.  I have only ever discussed this issue with one very dear friend, and she does something similar.

So what about you?
Do you sleep soundly alone?  Or have you never had to sleep alone?
Do you ever take for granted your partner being around?

2 comments:

Lyndsey said...

I have the same problem, whenever my husband is out of town and I'm alone. It is as if I'm hypersensitive to every sound and emotion. I usually sleep (eventually) with the light on, staying up way past my bedtime.

I used to go stay at my mom's house, but that doesn't make sense anymore with a child.

Unknown said...

Going to bed is always the hardest time for me when Jon is gone. Even now on business trips it is the same. I stay up too late watching tv, I leave lights on through out the house so I am never in the dark, and I read whole books before I can fall aslseep. I did live by myself before I got married, but I still hate going to sleep by myself. I hope you can catch up on your rest soon.

Related Posts with Thumbnails