Pages

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Bedtime Baby

I first told you about our struggle with Meredith at bedtime here.

We have managed to make going to bed a bit easier.

I tell her that we can rock for two minutes and then she has to go to bed.
The first few times, she demanded that she continue to rock.

I told her that she could rock alone, because I had to leave and couldn't rock her anymore.
She agreed, and snuggled in her rocking chair with her blankie, her water cup and her giant Minnie.

Forgive me for no photo, but trust that it is super cute.

If she stays in her room and doesn't cry, we tell her that we can leave her door open.
Suggesting that we will shut the door makes her turn it off quicker than Tony Romo changes girlfriends.

Some nights she actually fell asleep in the rocking chair, after kicking Minnie out of course.

So part of the process begun to work, but she wouldn't STAY in her room.
If she woke up, she would leave her room to find me.

I worked VERY hard to become coherent enough to actually take her back to her bed instead of allowing her to climb into ours. 
And believe me this was a hard task because I am a hard one to wake up! 

So we decided to offer her "an extra special present".

If she stayed in her bed all night for an entire week, she would receive the "extra special present!"

She would wake up in the morning soooo excited, saying "I stay in my bed!"

So the time came that she received her extra special present!
She has been BEGGING for this foamy Dora couch/bed for a really long time. 


And we thought that this was something that she genuinely wanted, so it would be worth the incentive to stay in her bed. 

We explained that we would take it away from her if she didn't continue to stay in her bed! 
So far so good, and she is in HEAVEN!

4 comments:

Rebekah said...

Let me just say I'm glad you aren't buying her something new every time she stays in her bed. I have a friend who has BIG sleep issues with her 4 1/2 year old. I try not to be judgmental, but I don't understand how buying all this new stuff if going to help him sleep, or establish good expectations. Sorry for venting. Sara Ellen certainly has her nights where it's harder to get her to stay in bed, but in general, we have it easy.

Noel's Mama said...

Great idea with the big reward! I bet you don't have problems anymore!

Lyndsey said...

Way to go Meredith! She looks so incredibly happy with her Dora chair. How cute!

Anonymous said...

Yay for everyone! I love how excited she is about this couch, that is awesome.

Related Posts with Thumbnails