Pages

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Doctor, Doctor...

Richard and I have shared complaints of the healthcare system offered by the military. I have shared complaints of the same with other military families, as well.
Believe me, I won't bore you with the list.

But truly, we don't have it as bad as we often think. If we were near an Army post, we could request to go to a civilian hospital (yes, friends, you are a civilian to me!) Being here in Charlottesville, we have no choice but to choose a civilian doctor. Of course, they have to participate in our insurance coverage....but I am able to take my children to one of the best hospitals in the country, whenever I want for free.

Lucas has been sick alot lately, and frankly, part of me wondered if I should just take him to the doctor to make sure he didn't have anything more serious. Part of me knew that it would be a waste of time, but I knew it was the right thing to do. My neighbor said "Well, it may be rough to pay that $20 co-pay, but at least you will know!"

Co-pay?! Wow! Reason number 12 that we have great insurance! No co-pay! I did say FREE (see above).

Nothing was wrong with Lucas...well, something is wrong with him, but nothing for which they could treat him with antibiotics. The doctors (yes, two, because The University of Virginia is a teaching hospital!) spent more than 5 minutes (and infamous amount of time that military doctors spend with patients) to make me feel assured that my son was okay. They even offered to check out Mere if I was concerned with her!

So despite the complaints about what we do have to pay (out of pocket eye wear, for example), things are not as bad as we made them out to be....

I am scared though...Lucas is going to the dentist tomorrow. Since he has insurance coverage, we might as well take advantage of the cleaning. I just hadn't made an appointment....
This will be way different than carting both kids to UVA. Hopefully, things go well!
:-0

3 comments:

Robyn said...

I hear ya on this one! We go to one of the best hospitals here, because I have Crohn's disease. I have the best gastroenterologist in the state, and the best internal medicine doctor in the area. And, I don't have to pay a dime! I try to keep telling other military members that but they still want to get out and risk not having health insurance...

Sarah-Anne said...

How was Lucas' visit to the dentist?

Rich Connaroe said...

Yes, I didn't hear how the dentist when either. Did he sit still?

UVA is a bit further than Reynolds Army Hospital used to be for us, but it at least feels like better care.

Related Posts with Thumbnails